Take A Bite!


...Stay a while... You were meant to come here. It's fate!

Sunday, July 27, 2003

I’ve been keeping tabs on the current situation in Makati ever since 3am this morning. It is so scary and unreal to see tanks and soldiers dominating the streets of Makati, which today should have been filled with families enjoying their Sunday at the mall. The soldiers in the Magdalo group have a good sense of timing to maximize the impact of what they are doing. If they had rebelled during a weekday, there might be close to panic in the streets of Makati while in other places people might be blissfully unaware in their offices that anything significant was happening. But held on a Sunday, and effectively immobilizing one of the main shopping centers in the metropolis, most people opt to stay at home and remain glued to their TV, watching as events unfold.

I must say that the last time I’ve watched breaking news on television with such sadness for my country in my heart was during the May 1 riots. I could see fellow Filipinos running amok, overturning vehicles and setting fire to them, and even throwing stones at local mediamen. This time, the news does not greet me with such out and out violence, but the tanks and guns and uniforms and bombs as well as the extremely heightened tensions has the same effect on me.